01 January 2016

Could You Repeat That? CXXXXVIII

The Dark Forest, Cixin Liu
"Wallfacer Luo Ji, we were prepared to face your anger," the commission chair said.
"My heart has been burnt to ash. It no longer has the capacity for anger," Luo Ji said, reclining lazily on the sofa.
The chair nodded. "That's a wonderful attitude."

Voyage of the Sable Venus and Other Poems, Robin Coste Lewis
In order to replace this historical erasure of slavery (however well intended), I re-erased the postmodern African-American, then changed those titles back. That is, I re-corrected the corrected horror in order to allow that original horror to stand.

Yes Please, Amy Poehler
A person's tragedy does not make up their entire life. A story carves deep grooves into our brains each time we tell it. But we aren't one story. We can change our stories. We can write our own.

Against Football, Steve Almond
Somewhere in the world, I'm afraid, there exists a recording of me providing the color commentary for a game in which we bowed to our rivals 56-0, a score that makes the game sound closer than it was.

Rolling in the Deep, Mira Grant
"Humanity destroys the things it loves."

The God of the Hive, Laurie R King
Then I climbed to my feet, brushed off my skirt, and went to break into the house of a spymaster's assistant.

The Year of the Runaways, Sunjeev Sahota
'Does it make sense that my mother died?'
He looked away, with clear difficulty. 'If it pleases Him.'
It was a frightening thought, that God might be pleased by their suffering.

The Japanese Lover, Isabel Allende
"There are a lot of good people, Irina, but they keep quiet about it. It's the bad ones who make a lot of noise, and that's why they get noticed."

How to Be Drawn (poetry), Terrance Hayes
Thinking of me, two or three myths their brains devise
will begin to divide in them, the tangible cells untangling
themselves until my absence seems to recede. My children
will find grease on their fingers after touching pictures of me.

City of Stairs, Robert Jackson Bennett
They call us godless, Saypuris occasionally say to one another, as if we had a choice.

My Real Children, Jo Walton
She hated to close herself back in the box of being a good girl, to appease, to smile, to let go of the fierce caring that had been so much a part of who she was. But she didn't want to terrify people either.

Chimera, Mira Grant
My name is Dr. Shanti Cale. I am the traitor you ordered me to be, and I am a better monster than you deserve. The broken doors are open. You will never make it home.

And...


"Wow," said Fishy. "I don't think I heard a single full stop in there. You know, when you start talking entirely in comma splices, you're probably ready for a time-out and a tranquilizer."

The End of All Things, John Scalzi
As the nanobots that comprised my parachute disassociated into dust, I reflected on the fact that I had become a little jaded about falling to the surface of a planet from space.

Shades in Shadow: An Inheritance Triptych, NK Jemisin
(In the language that Itempas has created, Nahadoth is the word for things that cannot be perceived, cannot be comprehended, can only be unleashed.)

No comments: