23 September 2018

Movie Moments XIV: June/July/August 2018

Thirty-eight movies for June/July/August 2018! That’s a decent summer, I think.

Pitch Perfect 3, 07 June 2018, Blu-ray via Redbox
It seems incredibly clear that none of these women are actually singing the alto line, so now the series is obviously ruined for me.

Solo, 08 June 2018, Hot Springs VIP Cinema
2 Fast 2 Corellian, and I mean that as the highest compliment. Also, L3 and her REVOLUTION is 100% magic.

Ocean’s 8, 08 June 2018, Hot Springs VIP Cinema
#Oceans8 is an un-ending delight, as is Cate Blanchett’s wardrobe. (Cannot. Even.) Also, this movie is queer as hell and no one can say me nay.

Also, I kind of love that Anne Hathaway leaned all the way into every snipey gossipy thing folks have said about her since Les Mis. She sees your disdain, and raises it by six pounds of diamonds.

RBG, 09 June 2018, Riverdale 10 VIP Cinema
#RBG is a rather witty biography, and establishes: 1) This nation is uber-screwed when she retires, 2) RBG was a stone-cold fox in law school, and 3) in her 80s, she can hold a plank longer than, like, 70% of Americans.

Hotel Artemis, 10 June 2018, AMC Classic Central City 10
#HotelArtemis is a pretty original near-future action movie framed by water riots in Los Angeles, and it needed either one less or two more revisions to really earn the helluva cast it's got. (I really liked it.)

Adrift, 14 June 2018, UA Breckenridge Stadium 12
Extremely glad #Adrift intercut before and after the storm, because there's no way I could survived a chronological telling of the tale.

Superfly, 15 June 2018, AMC Classic Central City 10
  • #Superfly is kind of what you'd get if you crossed a heist movie with a drug cartel movie, and also tossed in the complete videography of Rick Ross. I dig it.
  • They seemed to have an honest-to-goodness throuple, which is refreshing. The (requisite?) shower softcore blew past sexy and landed on awkward pretty damn quickly, though. Sigh.
  • Like #LukeCage, this movie is largely populated by POCs (Black and Hispanic, with incidental Asians), with the White folks with speaking parts being corrupt cops. (Including Jennifer Morrison, in a lovely flip of stereotypes.) And, honestly? That felt the most true-to-life. (One scene has characters being pulled over by a cop, and as soon as the POV switches to dashcam, you know exactly what’s coming.) Also, a car chase scene ends with exploding a Confederate monument, so everyone wins.
  • No less than four characters remark upon the lead’s hair, which. Valid.
  • In one flashback scene, Priest nonchalantly reveals he’s been catfishing a security guard for a month, and reader, I have never felt so delighted.


My Week with Marilyn, 15 June 2018, DVD via public library
Michelle Williams remains amazing, though, ye gods, could we have a movie about an interesting woman that isn’t mediated through the eyes of a dude who thinks he loves her?

Meanwhile, Eddie Redmayne and Emma Watson making out is disturbing the Harry Potter timestream.

The Incredibles 2, 16 June 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
I legit never saw a single trailer or commercial for this movie, which is kind of shocking, given how much screentime I clock on a regular basis.

#Incredibles2 was great, but the #Bao short film before it had me like WHOA.

Tag, 16 June 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
This movie is just ever-lasting delightful for me. Crazy competitive playfulness extends into adulthood; a third of my friends are Gryffindor and this is their lives, I swear to you.

Nostalgia, 23 June 2018, Delta Airlines
Whoever wrote this movie started out in theatre, which means the script is too talky and earnest, and I dig it so much.

Zodiac, 23 June 2018, Delta Airlines
That Mark Ruffalo can act. I’m not so down with the serial killer stuff (NIGHTMARES FOREVER), but this was a good watch.

Central Intelligence, 29 June 2018, Delta Airlines
You guys, I think this is a legit version of The Rock that we should all believe is true.

Downsizing, 29 June 2018, Delta Airlines
WAIT, the romantic lead for this movie was a disabled Southeast Asian refugee woman and NOBODY TOLD ME?!

A Little Something for Your Birthday, 29 June 2018, Delta Airlines
This 100% violates my “no rom-coms about affluent white people,” but Liza Lapira is in this, and I support her choices.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure, 29 June 2018, Delta Airlines
Watched the third #MazeRunner without having seen the first two. There was no maze and, frankly, not a lot of running.

Gemini, 30 June 2018, DVD via Redbox
This movie made no sense, but John Cho is in it, so.

Maze Runner, 01 July 2018, streamed via Amazon
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, 01 July 2018, streamed via Amazon
Wait, it ISN’T Shawn Mendes and Harry Styles? How did it take me three of these to figure that out?

Ant-Man and the Wasp, 06 July 2018, Hot Springs VIP Cinema
#AntManAndTheWasp isn't quiiiiiite as funny as it thinks it is, but it's a fun romp nonetheless. And that Baba Yaga payoff was *kisses fingers.*

Also, how could a man-hunt for Hank and Hope possibly miss a *randomly appearing multi-story building* in the Bay area? Like anyone there wouldn't immediately clock new real estate.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, 07 July 2018, Riverdale 10 VIP Cinema
This is a seriously cozy movie and sort of makes you hate everything about the public discussion of nowadays. I don’t remember a lot about watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood as a kid, but this was a really comforting documentary to watch.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, 07 July 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
Who puts the heel turn in the first act?!

Avengers: Infinity War, 19 July 2018, AMC Central City Classic 10
Mantis is the very best, y’all. I salute her god-quelling powers.

Leave No Trace, 21 July 2018, Riverdale 10 VIP Cinema
I would never survive in the wilderness on my own. This is a lovely meditation on independence and familial love and, in fact, PTSD, without being too obvious about any of it. I love the ending. It’s sad and yearning and perfect.

Tully, 31 July 2018, DVD via Redbox
This is why I will never birth children. I would murder anyone who came within ten feet of me, no matter how friendly their expression. Also, we really don’t acknowledge often enough how golden Charlize Theron is.

Ready Player One, 01 August 2018, Blu-ray via Redbox
#ReadyPlayerGo: Where every scene ends with me muttering, "Bro," with disappointment.

Lean on Pete, 02 August 2018, DVD via Redbox
#LeanOnPete is SO STRESSFUL, and also a really good partner for #LeaveNoTrace.

Mission Impossible: Fallout, 06 August 2018, Hot Springs VIP Cinema
#MissionImpossibleFallout is a rollicking good time. Also, I am unable to recognize Henry Cavill when he sports a mustache, so maybe Clark Kent's theory of disguise is solid. (I legit thought Cavill was the 50 Shades guy until the opening credits rolled.)

Eating Animals, 08 August 2018, Riverdale 10 VIP Cinema
#EatingAnimals is, surprisingly, a pretty strong critique of how the government protects industrial farm corporations from scrutiny, rather than protecting farmers. (The "eat ethically and sustainably" call is there, but it's not the thesis.)

Christopher Robin, 11 August 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
#ChristopherRobin is one big ol' sunshine hug.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, 11 August 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
#MammaMia2 is apparently about what happens when a Manic Pixie Dream Girl decides to become a real human. Also, Firth and Skaarsgard playing King of the World is the loudest I've laughed in public for several months. Also, that final scene with the double-versions of the characters is worth thrice the price of admission.

The Spy Who Dumped Me, 11 August 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
I would legit watch an entire series based on #SpyWhoDumpedMe. Movies, TV, comic novels, whatever.

A Wrinkle in Time, 12 August 2018, Blu-ray
This is such a weird and lovely movie that gets very Hunger Games right in the middle for reasons known only to marketing focus groups.

ET the Extra-Terrestrial, 12 August 2018, DVD
I have no idea when I first watched this. I know I must have at some point, but everything I had remembered could easily have been chalked up to cultural osmosis. I legit did not remember how much the kids teamed up, nor the whole lab scene.

Crazy Rich Asians, 18 August 2018, Cinemark Colonel Glenn 18
  • #CRAZYRICHASIANS IS SO GOOD AND ALSO WAY TO PULL THAT GAME THEORY SCREENWRITERS, DANG.
  • Wait, how did Harry Shum Jr get single card billing on #CrazyRichAsians? His agent is earning the hell out of that percentage.
  • If you're wondering how much #CrazyRichAsians makes you crave Chinese food...I'm roasting a duck right now.


The Darkest Minds, 18 August 2018, UA Breckenridge Stadium 12
Yet another YA dystopia with weirdly specific mutant powers, but I ended up really liking it. Anyway, it ended on something of a cliffhanger, so I guess I have to binge-read a YA trilogy tonight.

Independence Day, 20 August 2018, DVD
I enjoy how absolutely nonsense this movie is, and the fact that, weirdly, its nonsense has actually aged pretty well. Like, nothing struck me as ~~~sooooo 90s~~~~ or anything. So, it’s...classic?

The Meg, 26 August 2018, AMC Classic Central City 10
#TheMeg is some delightful nonsense populated by a refreshingly international and diverse cast. Also, SHARKS. Also, the movie establishes that Statham's character has watched #FindingNemo, which is the stuff of which fanfic writers' dreams are made.

No comments: