02 January 2023

Could You Repeat That? CXCIX: Favorite Lines of Recent Reads

Just Cook It!, Justin Chapple
Once, when I was making my Fingerlings with 40 Cloves of Garlic (page 138) for houseguests, I accidentally overcooked the potatoes--a martini distracted me, my friends reported.

Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen, Josef Centeno & Betty Hallock
Tex-Mex was largely dismissed by the culinary elite in the 1970s as inauthentic Mexican food. But that's the point. The only authentic thing about Tex-Mex is that it isn't authentic: It evolves and adapts.

Club Dead, Charlaine Harris
"I don't like having feelings," Eric said coldly, and he left.
That was a tough exit line to top.



The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America, Matt Kracht
This ice-cold motherfucker is what's called a "predatory songbird." It really should be called a "Murder-Bird" because the homicidal little shrike feeds on small mammals and other birds and, I swear I am not making this up, often impales them on thorns or barbed wires. That is some sick shit right there.

Ripe Figs: Recipes and Stories from Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus, Yasmin Khan
The marriage of sweet tomatoes and tangy sheep cheese is a flavor combination so perfect that I'm surprised it's not mentioned in one of the ancient Greek myths. For some reason, the best versions are often eaten under a beach umbrella, with wet hair and the taste of salt water still lingering faintly on your lips.

And...


"Food has no ethnicity, only geography," is Musa's mantra, one he repeats early and often. In a country such as Turkey, where national identity is heavily politicized, as it is in so many places in the world, it's a bold statement.

Call Down the Hawk, Maggie Stiefvater, x2
Even with large parcels tucked under one arm, she had a walk that seemed like there should be a slow-motion explosion occurring behind her. She would watch herself, too, if she wasn't herself.

Alternative Alamat: Myths and Legends from the Philippines, Paolo Chikiamco, ed.
The gods adapt, when new voices say their names. The gods adapt, when they are embodied in new forms. The gods change, and so they survive.

Mister Impossible, Maggie Stiefvater, x2
"I don't have the capacity for your identity crisis this morning," Declan said.

Greywaren, Maggie Stiefvater
"And I thought you wanted this."
"What every child dreams of: a rigged career in the arts."
"A child's guide to the economy, by Jordan Hennessy," recited Jo Fisher.

And...


Declan's understanding was dark with nightwash. Claws dug for his heart, only to find it gone.

The Magicians' Guild, Trudi Canavan
He was right, and yet he wasn't. There had to be something wrong with not even trying to help.

The Novice, Trudi Canavan
"You're our hero and protector. I know you'll save us."
"Must you keep saying that?"
Tayend chuckled. "I only want you to feel needed and appreciated."

The High Lord, Trudi Canavan
"Ordinary men may be of no use in a magical confrontation, but don't underestimate our ability to be annoying."

The Ambassador's Mission, Trudi Canavan
"You're a woman," Lorkin pointed out as he pulled his trousers on. "So how is it you know magic?"
She smiled. "Men stopped teaching women magic. Women, however, did not."

The Rogue, Trudi Canavan
Sonea looked at him. He grinned. She shook her head. "There are limits."
"To taking a job seriously?"
"To teasing me and getting away with it," she replied tersely.

The Traitor Queen, Trudi Canavan
"I admit I was worried about you, but you are still yourself, underneath."
Dannyl straightened in protest. "Underneath what?"
The Elyne stood up, waving one hand in Dannyl's direction. "All...that."
"I'm reeling at your descriptive clarity," Dannyl told him.

Ame-Comi Girls, Volume 1, Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, Amanda Conner, & Tony Akins


Ame-Comi Girls, Volume 2: Rise of the Brainiac, Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
DUELA: Do you try to solve every problem by stabbing it? I think I like that about you.
DIANA: I...will...try...again....

Ame-Comi Girls, Volume 3: Earth in Crisis, Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
SHAYERA: I want to avenge my people, not stand around discussing your personal history.

Want, Cindy Pon
My friends and I had debated for hours over our plan, back and forth, again and again. But in the end, the truth was a harsh and ugly one: in order to change the status quo, we had to be destructive. Seize control of the narrative. Redirect the plot.

Galatea, Madeline Miller
"Your pulse is slow," he said.
Of course my pulse is slow, because I used to be made of stone, but I didn't say that. I just made a sound, mmm, that tried to be contrite and interested at once.

Well Traveled, Jen DeLuca
He glanced at me under his lashes, and why was he smiling at me? He needed to knock that shit off.

Star Wars: Visions: Ronin, Emma Mieko Candon
"That warrior you were tussling with, for example. She seemed a bit off to me. What about you?"
"Well," said the Ronin, "I did kill her a few days ago."

Mooncakes and Milk Bread, Kristina Cho
I can always count on finding a shiny Royal Dansk Danish butter cookies tin tucked beneath my pau pau's coffee table. I always hold out hope that the tin will contain a fresh batch of buttery, pretzel-shaped cookies (my preferred shape). More often than not, though, spools of thread and sewing needles will be rattling around in there instead. The disappointment! For years, I thought Pau Pau was deliberately toying with my emotions, but thanks to internet memes, I now know that pretty much everyone's grandma does the same thing.

And...


Walking out of a Chinese bakery with a pink box is like a badge of honor. It means you bought enough buns and treats to warrant one, and everyone should be jealous of your bounty.

Book Lovers, Emily Henry
I'm trying to look innocent, to look like Libby batting her eyelashes.
Charlie stares at me. "I really wonder what you think your face is doing right now, Stephens."

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Moreau's daughter was forever supposed to remain a girl, like the dolls that watched her intently. But she was restless; she felt as if she'd overgrown her skin and must molt.

Bread Head, Greg Wade
The significance of our connection with the farmers who grow our grains should be no different than the significance of our connection with the people who sit around our tables and consume our bread.

And...


Sometimes you just need a big fuckin' bowl.

To Asia, With Love, Hetty McKinnon
This book is rooted in the smell of ginger on my mother's hands.

Bread Toast Crumbs, Alexandra Stafford
If you are reading this book, chances are this statement speaks to you: the best way to eat a salad is to load it with carbohydrates.

M. Butterfly, David Henry Hwang
Chin, as Suzuki, trudges onstage and drops a lone flower without much enthusiasm.

Tune In Tomorrow, Randee Dawn
Finding its happy place, the mouse dug into a sack and tossed a cloud of maroon dust into the air that re-formed into flashing, bright words suspended above the center stage: Most Charming Performance by an Actor in Boots.
"That's a very specific category," Starr murmured.
"I can't wait to see those boots!" cried Jason.

Indian-ish, Priya Krishna
What I love about this particular variety is that they are studded with black pepper, and if this does not become clear from reading this book, the Krishnas freaking love black pepper.

The Wonder Engine, T Kingfisher
What filled Caliban was not power. Power was perhaps the least useful of gifts. It was grace. It struck him like a hammer, like a death blow, like falling in love. It filled places that had rung hollow and empty and wrapped him up and made him whole.

The Singles Table, Sara Desai
"I don't believe half the things you say," Zara snapped, irritated that Jay had to make an already-challenging day worse by saying nice things and sharing his feelings.

Stargate SG-1: Female of the Species, Geonn Cannon
"How many Goa'uld have you killed?" Shein asked.
"Me personally...?"
"If you're talking about SG-1, it's fourteen," Vala said.
Sam frowned. "That doesn't sound right."
"The commissary staff have a chart in the kitchen."

Dead to the World, Charlaine Harris
Fangtasia was in a shopping center close to Toys "R" Us.

The Battle of the Labyrinth, Rick Riordan
"You must tell each one you meet: if you would find Pan, take up Pan's spirit. Remake the wild, a little at a time, each in your own corner of the world. You cannot wait for anyone else, even a god, to do that for you."

No comments: