01 January 2023

Media Consumed 2022

What things have I kept count of this year?

316 Books | 21 Cities Visited | 27 Comics | Two Concerts (ish) | 6 Conferences and Festivals | 77 Movies | 21 Museums and Cultural/Historic Sites | 15 Readings and Talks | 1 Sports Match | 6 Theatre Productions | 801 TV Episodes

Books: 316

A good year for books! If you want to know all the books I've read, you can scroll back the books tag on my blog. (You could also check out my Goodreads tally, if you're that sort, though that number is off because I double-up with things like novel anthologies, I add on short stories there that I don't count as "books," etc, etc.) I won't list out everything I've read, but if we're wanting to consider my twelve favorites, well. I will first note that favorite does not mean best. I'm also not including any re-reads. As is my wont, I've included my favorite quotes from each one.

  1. Well Matched, Jen DeLuca
    You around tonight?
    Baseball practice till 6, he texted back almost right away. You asking me out, Mama?
    Oh for fuck's sake.
  2. The Gilded Wolves, Roshani Chokshi
    He might help Serverin steal, but the greatest thief of all was the Order of Babel, for they stole more than just objects...They stole histories, swallowed cultures whole, smuggled evidence of illustrious antiquity onto large ships and spirited them to indifferent lands.
  3. "Indifferent lands," mused Enrique. "That's a good line for later."


    And…


    "Tristan, my love," said Laila with dangerous calm. "If you get in the way of a woman's battle, you'll get in the way of her sword."

  4. Project Hail Mary, Andy Weir
    "No have oxygen, question?" he asked.
    "No oxygen."
    "Oxygen dangerous." He's been a little edgy since his internal organs caught fire.
  5. The Bodyguard, Katherine Center
    He said," Can we just have a do-over?"
    "On what?"
    "The date."
    "The date?" I asked. "The one that almost got me killed?"
    Jack nodded, like Yup.
    "No thanks," I said. "I'm good."
  6. A Psalm for the Wild-Built, Becky Chambers
    "I didn't choose impermanence," Mosscap said. "The originals did, but I did not. I had to learn my circumstances just as you did."
    "Then how," Dex said, "how does the idea of maybe being meaningless sit well with you?"
    Mosscap considered. "Because I know that no matter what, I'm wonderful," it said.
  7. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, Gabrielle Zevin
    "I thought you were worried I was going to die," Sam said.
    "No. You'll never die. And if you ever died, I'd just start the game again," Sadie said.
    "Sam's dead. Put another quarter in the machine."
    "Go back to the save point. Keep playing, and we'll win eventually." She paused. "Are you scared?"
  8. Soulstar, CL Polk
    The word "uza" meant something that didn't quite translate to Aelander. It meant solidarity. It meant unity. But something more than that--it meant that the people banded together in a community had a moral duty to each other, to serve one another.
  9. A Lady for a Duke, Alexis Hall
    "I'm sure there must be other options."
    "What other options? Men and women are permitted to interact in three ways: marriage, ruination, and polite indifference."
    For a moment, Lady Marleigh was silent.
    "Well?"
    "Give me a minute. I'm just trying to think of counter-examples."
    Viola gave her a minute.
    "Oh dear," said Lady Marleigh finally, "that's a bit dreary, isn't it?"

  10. This is Not a Book About Benedict Cumberbatch, Tabitha Carvan
    It's not going to be in the DSM, sure, but when a woman feels pleasure and then promptly goes to a psychologist to ask for it to be taken away, that seems like, I don't know, something.

    And…


    "It is just sheerly for fun," Emma says of fandom. "It is grace freely given. It is joy shared without consideration of compensation or payback."

  11. Ripe Figs: Recipes and Stories from Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus, Yasmin Khan
    The marriage of sweet tomatoes and tangy sheep cheese is a flavor combination so perfect that I'm surprised it's not mentioned in one of the ancient Greek myths. For some reason, the best versions are often eaten under a beach umbrella, with wet hair and the taste of salt water still lingering faintly on your lips.

    And...


    "Food has no ethnicity, only geography," is Musa's mantra, one he repeats early and often. In a country such as Turkey, where national identity is heavily politicized, as it is in so many places in the world, it's a bold statement.
  12. Greywaren, Maggie Stiefvater
    "And I thought you wanted this."
    "What every child dreams of: a rigged career in the arts."
    "A child's guide to the economy, by Jordan Hennessy," recited Jo Fisher.

    And...


    Declan's understanding was dark with nightwash. Claws dug for his heart, only to find it gone.
  13. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, Silvia Moreno-Garcia
    Moreau's daughter was forever supposed to remain a girl, like the dolls that watched her intently. But she was restless; she felt as if she'd overgrown her skin and must molt.

This was actually a fairly easy twelve to pick! Except I also burned through a TON of series, some of which were partial rereads. Shout-outs particularly to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, Julia Quinn's Bridgerton cinematic universe, and Trudi Canavan's Magician's Apprentice series (I read six out of seven of the books, and at least twice was up reading until 4 AM).

Back to Top

Cities Visited: 21

In between my truncated Iberian peninsula vacation (thanks a lot, COVID quarantine in Casablanca) and my multi-state road trip when I moved, this is a bit higher than usual! Or, if not higher, at least much more impressive, I think. I have counted some airport stops because I wanted to, but YMMV on whether that's really visiting, some folks are snobby about that, I GUESS.

  • Switzerland: Zurich (airport)
  • Portugal: Lisbon (including airport), Evora
  • Spain: Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga (airport)
  • Morocco: Casablanca (including airport), Fes
  • Canada: Montreal (airport)
  • Little Rock, AR
    Yes, I recognize I lived in Arkansas and all, but I made a point to do a bunch of Little Rock tourism right before I left!
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Topeka, Kansas
    Specifically the Brown vs Board of Education historical site
  • Le Mars, IA
    This was a road trip stop to sleep, but I aimed for Le Mars so I could visit the Blue Bunny factory store, SO THERE.
  • Omaha, NE
    Due to road trip constraints, I only did a pit stop in Nebraska.
  • Wall, SD + the Crazy Horse Monument Site
    Have you visited Wall Drug? It's a trip. The Crazy Horse memorial site was interesting--the actual, like, MONUMENT has yet to be built, but I wasn't about to go to Mount Rushmore, as I'd already visited a long while back.
  • Buffalo, WY--another sleeping stop.
  • Butte, MT
    This was a glorified pit stop, but I made a point to visit the exterior of (probably) the longest-running Chinese restaurant in the country. They were closed when I went! Alas. BUT I WAS THERE.
  • I have added a bullet here because I passed through Idaho but, by that point, I was too tired of being on the road to stop by anything very pretty. So I visited this state, for real! I just didn't stop in a city.
  • Seattle, WA
    I've done some touristy things since moving out here, though of course, there's a ton more to see.
  • Portland, OR--I drove down there for a performance thing
  • Riverside, CA
    It feels weird to list Riverside, given I lived there for half my life, but I guess it now counts as visiting when I go home for Christmas?

Back to Top

Comics: 27

I continue to be lax in reading the comics I have piled up. Digitally speaking. I need to get better at this, but aside from reading the entire Monstress run, that was it. While I was unpacking, I read a couple from my stack o' things on paper, but again, need to get better at that backlog.

  • Werewolf By Night #33
  • Monstress #01-24
  • Angel: Only Human #1
  • DC Kids Free Comic Book Day Mega Sampler 2010

Back to Top

Concerts, etc: 2

I used to be so good at concerts! Thanks a lot, COVID and also unemployment! Geez. Mulaney's counted as a concert, and that was a helluva a great show, no lie. I've also included the Buffering finale concert, as I attended digitally. Jenny Owens Young and company did a double-set of songs! It was an excellent concert.

  • John Mulaney, with Seaton Smith and Dan Levy supporting (13 August 2022)
  • Slayers, Every One of Us (Buffering the Vampire Slayer finale concert), 17 September 2022

Back to Top

Conferences/Festivals: 6

Five virtual conferences and one in-person festival! Not bad, actually.

  • #4C22: Conference on College Composition and Communication, March 9-12
  • ISUP Colloquium 2022: "Race, Linguistic Justice, and Critical Approaches to Communicative Competence," 25 March 2022
  • Computers and Writing 2022, May 19-21
  • Japanese American Heritage Day, Neely Mansion Historical Association (13 August 2022)
  • Multitude Podcasting Conference, 09 September 2022
  • Council of Writing Program Administrators 2022 Colloquium (October 27-29)

Back to Top

Movies: 77

This is actually kind of low compared to last year, and yet still a lot in comparison to most people? The Oscar-watching from the beginning of the year remains the most significant chunk of movies watched. I will once again direct you to the movies tag on my blog if you want to see the reviews and all. Here are my top twelve, in chronological watch order, and once again not counting any rewatches. I've linked directly to my reviews, if you're very curious, but the summaries listed are copied straight off Rotten Tomatoes.

  1. The Worst Person in the World
    The Worst Person in the World is a modern dramedy about the quest for love and meaning in contemporary Oslo. It chronicles four years in the life of Julie (Renate Reinsve), a young woman who navigates the troubled waters of her love life and struggles to find her career path, leading her to take a realistic look at who she really is.
  2. Encanto
    The Madrigals are an extraordinary family who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia in a charmed place called the Encanto. The magic of the Encanto has blessed every child in the family with a unique gift -- every child except Mirabel. However, she soon may be the Madrigals last hope when she discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is now in danger.
  3. Passing
    In 1920s New York City, a Black woman finds her world upended when her life becomes intertwined with a former childhood friend who's passing as white.
  4. Swan Song
    Set in the near future, "Swan Song" is a powerful, emotional journey told through the eyes of Cameron (Mahershala Ali), a loving husband and father who is expecting his second child with his wife Poppy (Naomie Harris). When Cameron is diagnosed with a terminal illness, he is presented with an alternative solution by his doctor (Glenn Close) to shield his family from grief. As Cameron grapples with whether or not to alter his family's fate, he learns more about life and love than he ever imagined. Written and directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Benjamin Cleary, "Swan Song" explores how far we will go, and how much we're willing to sacrifice, to make a happier life for the people we love.
  5. The Batman
    Batman ventures into Gotham City's underworld when a sadistic killer leaves behind a trail of cryptic clues. As the evidence begins to lead closer to home and the scale of the perpetrator's plans become clear, he must forge new relationships, unmask the culprit and bring justice to the abuse of power and corruption that has long plagued the metropolis.
  6. Spider-man: No Way Home
    For the first time in the cinematic history of Spider-Man, our friendly neighborhood hero's identity is revealed, bringing his Super Hero responsibilities into conflict with his normal life and putting those he cares about most at risk. When he enlists Doctor Strange's help to restore his secret, the spell tears a hole in their world, releasing the most powerful villains who've ever fought a Spider-Man in any universe. Now, Peter will have to overcome his greatest challenge yet, which will not only forever alter his own future but the future of the Multiverse.
  7. Turning Red
    In "Turning Red", Mei Lee is a confident, dorky thirteen-year-old torn between staying her mother's dutiful daughter and the chaos of adolescence. And as if changes to her interests, relationships, and body weren't enough, whenever she gets too excited (which for a teenager is practically ALWAYS), she "poofs" into a giant red panda!
  8. Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, collectively known as Daniels, the film is a hilarious and big-hearted sci-fi action adventure about an exhausted Chinese American woman (Michelle Yeoh) who can't seem to finish her taxes.
  9. Space Sweepers
    After snatching a crashed space shuttle in the latest debris chase, Spaceship Victory's crew members find a 7-year-old girl inside. They realize that she's the humanlike robot wanted by UTS Space Guards and decide to demand ransom in exchange.
  10. Prey
    Set in the Comanche Nation 300 years ago, "Prey" is the story of a young woman, Naru, a fierce and highly skilled warrior. She has been raised in the shadow of some of the most legendary hunters who roam the Great Plains, so when danger threatens her camp, she sets out to protect her people. The prey she stalks, and ultimately confronts, turns out to be a highly evolved alien predator with a technically advanced arsenal, resulting in a vicious and terrifying showdown between the two adversaries.
  11. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    In Marvel Studios' "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M'Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba) fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of King T'Challa's death. As the Wakandans strive to embrace their next chapter, the heroes must band together with the help of War Dog Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o) and Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) and forge a new path for the kingdom of Wakanda.
  12. Slumberland
    A young girl discovers a secret map to the dreamworld of Slumberland, and with the help of an eccentric outlaw, she traverses dreams and flees nightmares, with the hope that she will be able to see her late father again.

Who curates the "Movie Info" summaries for Rotten Tomatoes? Because I have some questions about their template.

Back to Top

Museums and Cultural/Historic Sites: 21

  • Crazy Horse Memorial site (Crazy Horse, SD)
  • Wall Drug (Wall, SD)
  • Pekin Noodle Parlor (Butte, MT)
  • Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture (Seattle, WA)
  • Chihuly Garden and Glass (Seattle, WA)
  • Neely Historical Mansion (Auburn, WA)
  • Soos Creek Botanical Gardens (Auburn, WA)
  • Museum of Pop Culture (Seattle, WA)
  • Back to Top

    Readings/Talks: 15 events

    This one's such a catch-all category! Largely, though it's podcast events, author talks hosted by literary festivals and libraries, and artist talks hosted by galleries. Folks talking in nerdy detail about things they know a lot about, basically. I've included links as they seemed to be relevant, for those of you who might be curious.

    Back to Top

    Sports: One game

    I don't attend a ton of sports things, typically, but I do listen to the HORSE basketball podcast a lot, which is why I ended up attending Sue Bird's second-to-last game playing for the Seattle Storm. I had just moved to Washington! I had nothing to do! WNBA game it is!

    • Seattle Storm vs Las Vegas Aces, Game 3 of WNBA Semifinals (04 September 2022)
    And, okay, they lost, but that game was SO CLOSE, y'all, I can't even tell you how stressful it was. No regrets, would attend again.


    Pictured above:
    • The "Mike Schubert" T-shirt is from the Newest Olympian show in Portland
    • "I Saw Him Right After He Got Outta Rehab" is from John Mulaney's show in Auburn, WA
    • The Sue Bird commemorative T-shirt is from the Seattle Storm game
    • The Hamilton tee is from the February performance in Little Rock
    • The Ain't Too Proud tee is from the Ahmanson performance

    Back to Top

    Theatre: Six productions

    Despite being a self-proclaimed Theatre Kid, I have been slacking on actual theatre-going in my life. Thanks a lot, COVID and also unemployment and weather conditions!

    Back to Top

    TV: 801 episodes

    I don't know how to really, like, talk about TV? And despite how much TV I watch, there's no way I've watched ALL of it--we are in the age of Peak TV, after all. And I don't even watch a ton of what's considered prestige! So I don't even know how to talk about TV? I can't even really direct you to the TV tag on my blog because I don't write about TV on a regular basis! Weird. Anyway, here are my twelve favorite first-time watches of 2022, in alphabetical order.

    1. Andor (Season 1)

    2. Arcane: League of Legends (Season 1)

    3. Bridgerton (Season 2)

    4. Dispatches from Elsewhere (Season 1)

    5. The Expanse (Season 6--the final season)

    6. For All Mankind (Season 3)

    7. House of the Dragon (Season 1)

    8. Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Season 1)
      This was my favorite show of the year, BY FAR. I won't even argue it's the best, but it's the one I've rewatched obsessively.

    9. Ms Marvel (Season 1)

    10. The Sandman (Season 1)

    11. Star Trek: Lower Decks (Seasons 1-3)

    12. Ted Lasso (Seasons 1 & 2)

    And here is a list of other shows I watched whole seasons of this year! These are all first watches and I generally liked them all--I'm a completist, but I'm not a masochist.

    • Blood and Treasure (Seasons 1 & 2)

    • The Book of Boba Fett (Season 1)
    • Dickinson (Third and final season)
    • Doctor Who (Thirteen's era, basically)
    • Dollface (Seasons 1 & 2)
    • Doom Patrol (Season 3)
    • Fear the Walking Dead (I only watched the first two seasons, and then I felt pretty done with it)
    • Foundation (Season 1)
    • First Kill (First and only season)

    • Harley Quinn (Season 3)
      The "Batman Begins Forever" episode is AMAZING, here is a spoilery clip of it, I don't even care, man, watch it:

    • The Legend of Vox Machina (Season 1)
    • Moon Knight (Season 1)
    • Obi-Wan Kenobi (Season 1--is this the only season?)
    • Peacemaker (Season 1)
    • Shadow and Bone (Season 1)

    • She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Season 1)
    • Star Trek: Discovery (Season 4)
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation (I'm only in the fourth season now)
    • Star Trek: Picard (Season 2)
    • Star Trek: Prodigy (Season 1)
    • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Season 1)
    • Star Wars: Resistance (Season 2, the final season)
    • Tales of the Jedi (Season 1)
    • Titans (Season 3)
    • The Umbrella Academy (Season 2)
    • Vampire Academy (Season 1)

    • Walking Dead: The World Beyond (Season 2, the final season)
    • The Witcher (Season 2)

    And some things I rewatched in huge chunks (some of these rewatches will continue on into 2023):

    Angel, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Gargoyles, Psych, Stargate Atlantis, Supernatural, WandaVision.

    Back to Top

    And that's 2022 in the bag! Pretty excellent overall, I think. So I leave you with this:

    No comments: