15 September 2024

Could You Repeat That? CCVI

I did not travel as I'd intended this summer, nor did I do anything that would merit great acclaim. What did I do, instead? I read, friends. I read so many books.


Children of Ruin, Adrian Tchaikovsky
It is the right and proper way of intelligence to be blown on the winds of subconscious whimsy. He does not need to know the deeper workings of his own mind, indeed he cannot, any more than he can know the precise positioning of his arms: the data is simply too complex to be consciously grasped.

The Ninth Metal, Benjamin Percy
"A steak knife magically flew across the street and into his parked SUV and hit him right in the heart. Weirdest thing, right?"

Wannabe: Reckonings with the Pop Culture That Shapes Me, Aisha Harris
This moment gave me the kind of publicity many people dream of and spend an inordinate amount of time and effort attempting to manufacture; meanwhile, I just stumbled into this attention merely because I said I wanted Santa Claus to be a penguin.

Teach Me, Olivia Dade
Annette patted his hand, then removed hers. "Cause her pain, and we'll make quite certain you regret it."
"So much regret." Alfred offered him a genial smile. "The sort of regret that would cause a man to rethink all his critical life choices to that point."

Count Your Lucky Stars, Alexandria Bellefleur
"Livvy, relax. The doctor says I'm healthy as a horse."
She pursed her lips." Are we talking Seabiscuit, or the Red Pony?"

The Red Scholar's Wake, Aliette de Bodard
It was one thing to make the best of a bad situation--to be civil with pirates and try to build relationships even though all she could see, most days, was Ngà's pale face; it was quite another to boldly go kissing the leader of a pirate banner.

Shattered, Kevin Hearne
There is no way to perform Druidry without knowing how first. To even attempt it would be dangerous. I am beginning to think that much of what these people are doing in the name of convenience might be dangerous also. Magic does not happen free of cost.

The Secret Lives of Country Gentlemen, KJ Charles
"Joss, he's a baronet. You can't tup a baronet."
"Someone's got to."

Hook, Line, and Sinker, Tessa Bailey
She pressed her lips into a line.
Fox narrowed his eyes at her. "Are you doing that thing with your mouth because you're trying to trap all the psychological terms you want to throw at me?"
Her expression turned miserable. "Yes."

Moonglow, Kristen Callihan
"Fuck me," he breathed with genuine surprise. So rare that anything truly shocked him these days.
Her flush grew. "Thank you, but no."

Written in the Stars, Alexandria Bellefleur
ELLE (8:16 A.M.): what song are you gonna ruin for me next darcy?
ELLE (8:17 A.M.): you're beautiful? time of your life? every breath you take?
DARCY (8:20 A.M.): Just a suggestion, but maybe you should google those.

Ruffage: A Practical Guide to Vegetables, Abra Berens
My mother was a wonderful cook, mastering everything from spit-roasted woodcock to the perfect cream sauce.
But she cooked asparagus all to hell.

Feed the Resistance: Recipes + Ideas for Getting Involved, Julia Turshen
To think deeply about food is to also think deeply about the environment, the economy, immigration, education, community, culture, families, race, gender, and identity. Food is about people, all people. It is the most democratic thing in the world, lower-case "d," and affects all of us. All of us.

Death by Dumpling, Vivien Chien
I squeezed my eyes shut. This was it. I was done at twenty-seven. I was going to die a server at my parents' restaurant with no man to call my own and a dog named after soy sauce.

The Chalice of the Gods, Rick Riordan
"Farewell, my friends," I told them. "Be good to one another." Then I ascended. I wondered if I was leaving the snakes with a new religion; if they would tell stories to future generations about the strange rainbow god boy who tripped a lot before returning to the heavens. Or maybe they were just thinking, That kid is really weird.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid
"How do you do that?" Celia said.
"Do what?"
"Act so cavalier about things that are sacred to other people?"
"Because other people have got nothing to do with me."

The Last Devil to Die, Richard Osman
"Spare me, I'm supposed to be leading a murder investigation."
"Not very well," says Elizabeth. "If you don't mind my saying.?"
"I do mind," says Jill. "Either of you ever caught a murderer?"
"Yes," says Elizabeth.
"More than one," agrees Joyce.

My Roommate is a Vampire, Jenna Levine
Mr. Frederick J. Fitzwilliam's
Google Search History

  • how do you kiss if it has been three hundred years since
  • how can you know if she wants to kiss you
  • is it a bad idea to kiss your roommate
  • is it bad to think about or have sex with your roommate
  • age gap relationships
  • best breath mints

Long Past Dues, James J Butcher
On the third breath, he did the stupid thing.

Satisfaction Guaranteed, Karelia Stetz-Waters
Their eyes met. Cade was suddenly aware of how dim the store was without overhead lights. It was just them and their eyes locked and the giant, neon, clitoris.

The Siren of Sussex, Mimi Matthews
"Love!" Lady Arundell scoffed. "How can that possibly be?"
"He sewed pockets in all of her skirts," Anne said.
"Pockets." Julia sighed. "Imagine."

The Citadel of Weeping Pearls, Aliette de Bodard
You won't affect anything, Lam had said, but that wasn't true. She could affect things--she just couldn't make them stick. It was as if the universe was wound like some coiled spring, and no matter how hard she pulled, it would always return to its position of equilibrium.

Not In Love, Ali Hazelwood
Eli tried to imagine a reality in which he didn't know Rue Siebert existed. The empty misery of it. The sheer relief. "Hi, Rue," he said softly.

The Satapur Moonstone, Sujata Massey
Toward the north stood an impenetrable forest of green trees, large and small. That forest was probably where Prince Pratap Rao had been killed. The royal family's losses were as much a part of the land as the thousands of trees.

Trouble, Lex Croucher
"What the hell are you doing?" He sounded so pained that Emily did smile.
"You tell me," Emily said. "You're the one who's done this before."
"You are quite genuinely terrifying," said Captain Edwards.
"Good," said Emily."

At First Spite, Olivia Dade
Maybe she'd never skim over the waves with as much blithe confidence as before. Maybe there'd always be jagged edges and jutting beams in place of once-smooth decks. But she'd been pieced back together, and she might not be perfect, but she was sturdy enough.

The Devotion of Suspect X, Heigo Higashino, translated by Alexander O Smith with Elye Alexander
What am I doing here? Ishigami wondered, not for the first time. Giving students tests just so they could earn points had nothing to do with the true meaning of mathematics. It didn't mean anything. It wasn't math, and it wasn't even education.

Open Technical Writing, Adam Rex Pope
If I'm going to be baking a pizza crust recipe that you've shared with me, there are some things that simply have to be conveyed properly or you'll end up with a terrible pizza. If I tell you to bake the pizza at 550 degrees for 10 minutes, that is one thing. But, if you end up with a copy of the recipe that says to bake at 250 degrees for 10 minutes, you will not end up with my pizza at all. I doubt your pizza would even be edible.

Kill Her Twice, Stacey Lee
"And you're so fixated on what's inside the house that you ignore the storm brewing outside. You think keeping us safe means walking inside the lines. But I have news for you. The lines aren't keeping us safe. They're keeping us locked up."

Habitations, Sheila Sundar
"When did Indians become so Dickensian?" Murthy asked.
"It's the dilemma of the postcolonial novel, no? Do we show the tragedy of daily life, or are we supposed to portray ourselves as healed and ready for self-governance?"
"So, either way, the writing is for a Western audience?"

A Nobleman's Guide to Seducing a Scoundrel, KJ Charles
"You can't apologise? Or you don’t think he'll forgive you if you do?"
"He won't."
"Maybe not," Joss said. "But the question wasn't, can you get away with this? It was, do you need to apologise?"

Foul Heart Huntsman, Chloe Gong
"Even if the memories never come back," he said slowly, "I'm going to love you again. I have decided to warn you in advance."

Relative Strangers, AH Kim
"Good morning, rabbits," I shout as I walk down the road, a little bounce in my step. "Good morning, birds," I yell toward the twittering trees. I feel like one of those bizarrely happy women you see in commercials for laxatives or tampons.

Dating You/Hating You, Christina Lauren
Evie's light is on, but her door is closed, and if I'm careful not to jangle my keys or make any unnecessary noise it's because I'm considerate, not scared.

The Queer Principles of Kit Webb, Cat Sebastian
Percy realized he had had it all wrong when he told Kit that honor is just spite dressed up; spite was honor when it was the only weapon you had against someone more powerful.

D'Vaughn and Kris Plan a Wedding, Chencia C Higgins
The words ghosted over my lips, and I wanted to stick out my tongue to catch them as if they were tiny flakes of snow falling from the sky.

The Food of Sichuan, Fuschia Dunlop
Traditionally, the paste is matured in open clay jars: on sunny days, it bakes in the sun, and on clear nights, it receives a libation of dew; the pots are only covered when it rains. Through this special process, they say, the paste absorbs the essences of the universe, and breathes in the spirit of the Sichuanese earth.

A Drop of Venom, Sajni Patel
"People in power stay in power because the balances favor them already. They guard their wealth and prepare for uprisings. They know what to do when a storm comes. But they expect a storm of water and wind. Show them a storm of fire and vengeance, and they won't know what to do."

Murder Lo Mein, Vivien Chien
"Just because it's happened before, doesn't mean it couldn't happen again. The love triangle is a very popular circumstance in the murdering world."

The Rakess, Scarlett Peckham
Perhaps this was a trait one needed to become a creature like Seraphina Arden: the ability to feast on threats and turn them into strength.

Prince of Darkness, Sharon Kay Penman
As he glanced from Durand to John, he found himself hoping that he'd never become as jaded and distrustful as they were. The price of something and its value were not always one and the same.

The Saint of Bright Doors, Vajra Chandrasekera
He made it so that it had always been this way.
He made it so that I had always lived at the foot of the mountains; he made it so that I had never been a pearl diver, because there was no beach, no sea to dive in, and no oysters to catch. He removed the gulf of pearls from mortal memory.
He made it so that my sea folk were hunter-gatherers far from the water; it was as if we had always been that way. But on that first morning we all still remembered the old world and not the new one, and we knew our songs were wrong.

The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan
"We'll be back by dawn."
His mouth trembled ever so slightly. "How can you be sure?"
"I'm the sun god," I said, trying to muster more confidence than I felt. "I always return at dawn."

Three Holidays and a Wedding, Uzma Jalaluddin and Marissa Staples
"Dadu," Maryam said, thoughtfully, "have you noticed something strange about Snow Falls?"
"The people are exceptionally kind and also attractive?" Dadu asked. "It must be the good Canadian water."

Out of the Shadows, Justina Ireland
Vernestra looked from Jordanna to Sylvestri and realized she had fallen right into the middle of one of her least favorite holo adventures: the overwrought romance.

Starter Villain, John Scalzi
"So we're like Spotify, but for evil."
"We're much less evil than Spotify. We actually pay a living wage to the people whose work we’re selling."

Midnight Horizon, Daniel Jose Older
The emotions were back already, all of them. But the Force had never left, and it never would, and Ram knew what he had to do.

The Takedown, Lily Chu
It takes Teddy a moment to move his arm. When he tugs me out onto the sidewalk, I fold all my feelings up into an emotions taco and eat it down.

The Book of Love, Kelly Link
"We were dead." That was Daniel. "That's what happened. That's what you remember. That's what you want to know, Laura. Isn't it? We died. We were dead. Whose dog is that?"
Laura turned to look.

And...


"I did not say I was going to kill you," Avelot said. "I said I was thinking about whether it was a thing I was meant to do."
Susannah said, "Can I make a counterargument? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

40-Love, Olivia Dade
Her words struck him silent. Again. Talented teacher. Expertise. Sharp brain.
Something was cracking inside him. It kind of felt like his heart.

Soft Science, Franny Choi


And...


If tenderness is any sort of currency
maybe I don't want what it can buy.

The Atrocity Archives, Charles Stross
Nameless dread is all very well when you're slumped in front of the TV watching a slasher movie, but it plays havoc with your stomach when you drop half a pint of incredibly strong black coffee on it in the space of fifteen minutes.

The Left-Handed Booksellers of London, Garth Nix
Half an hour later, Susan was under the harsh fluorescent lights in an interview room at Highgate Police Station, having at first been arrested for suspected murder by a rather excited armed constable and then five minutes later informed by a passive-aggressive sergeant that maybe that wasn't right but now that it had been done they had to go through the motions at least, which apparently was her fault as well.

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics, Olivia Waite
"Every generation had women stand up and ask to be counted--and every generation of brilliant, insightful, educated men has raised a hand and wiped those women's names from the greater historical record."

The Sinister Booksellers of Bath, Garth Nix
"It is not merely Susan's life at stake--"
"Merely?" asked Susan.

Promises Stronger Than Darkness, Charlie Jane Anders
Wyndgonk thinks, The time to worry about the crown falling into the wrong hands was back when you were designing a system that gave one person this much power.

The Book Eaters, Sunyi Dean
All her options ended in death and failure, her usefulness expired; she was a dead woman walking.
Devon smiled.

Abeni's Song, P Djeli Clark
Finding her anger, she held on to it, the strongest thing she had right now.

The Death I Gave Him, Em X Liu
"I'm sorry."
Something plucked at the cords of my heart, then, at how easily the words slipped from his mouth, how real it sounded. It was the only thing he said that night that I still believe, with every breath left in me, but I hated him nonetheless.

Unraveller, Frances Hardinge
Being human was hard. It took practice. If you spent too much time being something else, it was difficult to find your way back. Perhaps Gall was running out of reasons to try.

Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, & Nicola Scott



Liberty's Daughter, Naomi Kritzer
Lib is an old Russian cargo ship. (Pete, which is the stead that was founded by Russians, is not on a Russian cargo ship, because they knew better.)

Saga, Volume 11, Fiona Staples & Brian K Vaughan


Bea Wolf, Zach Weinersmith & Boulet


A Marvellous Light, Freya Marske
"How much do you know about natural science?"
"Er," said Robin.
"Gravity? Sir Isaac Newton?"
"The apple chap?"
Edwin visibly shredded his planned explanation into shorter words.

Linghun, Ai Jiang
I wonder if Liam will say goodbye to them, but he doesn't. I guess there’s no point. Goodbye. Hello. What's the difference to those who are suspended in time?

Sleep No More, Seanan McGuire
"Placing a lot of store on luck and a story, aren’t you?" I asked.
“Those are the only things I've ever placed any faith in at all," said Li Qin.

Shubeik Lubeik, Deena Mohamed


And...



Translation State, Ann Leckie
"Maybe they know something about the person I'm looking for."
"And hit you over the head for it?"
Sie shrugged. "Maybe I can just explain to them."
Reet stared at hir. "Just explain?"
"Well," sie said with a small smile, "sometimes it works."

The Imposition of Unnecessary Obstacles, Malka Older
I wished she would put her arm around me, or something, something to be comforting. But she wouldn't, she wasn't going to. Not unless I told her to, and that negated too much of the benefit to be worthwhile.

Thornhedge, T Kingfisher
There were stones inside her heart that would never stop grinding together, but they did not weigh so heavily in the years when no princes came.

Some Desperate Glory, Emily Tesh
Trying to think felt like running through Doomsday. There was no solution that worked. There was no way for Kyr to win.
How had Mags done the impossible?
"Oh," said Kyr aloud, remembering.
He'd cheated.

Godkiller, Hannah Kaner
"With this offering, I can give him power beyond imagining. You are the last thing that Arren loves, and he has chosen to lose you."

Tangled Up in You, Christina Lauren
"Okay, weirdo," he said, standing and taking his phone back, "stop falling in love with me, let's go see that mountain."

A Restless Truth, Freya Marske
"What will you study?"
"I don't know." Maud watched the snake. Which, if released, might do nothing at all with the freedom thus offered except exchange one dark corner for another. "I don't know if I'm even clever enough for it."

Veg-table, Nik Sharma
Now, it might seem odd that I've opted to use the Hindi word for spinach in a stew made with Korean gochujang, but let me explain.

The Tea Master and the Detective, Aliette de Bodard
Outside, the currents of deep spaces bathed her--clinging, lightly, to her hull--like hands, awaiting the right moment to curl into claws.

A Choir of Lies, Alexandra Rowland
"Didn't your so-called master teach you anything?"
Then, then he looked up at me with some fire in his eyes. Less starving baby seal, more starving young wolf caught in a hunter's trap. Finally, I thought. Finally. "He taught me enough," he said.

This Time Tomorrow, Emma Straub
The one thing she was sure of, finally, was that whatever this was, it was really happening. It was the wobbly nerves in her stomach, like the drop on a roller coaster; it was the hyperawareness of everything around her. Alice felt like Spider-Man, except all of her powers were just being a teenage girl.

Buried Heart, Kate Elliott
Curiosity coaxes Menoë's habitual arrogant sneer into the more relaxed expression of a young woman who once knew how to be happy.

Bread Is Gold, Massimo Bottura & Friends
I am an Italian chef. The most valuable lessons are to make the most of everything and to never throw anything edible away. No crumbs or bones or cheese rinds. A ragu is nothing more than a sauce made with scraps of meat or fish or vegetable trimmings.

And...


Alex Atala was at the counter with a hacksaw, desperately opening coconuts. It looked like a scene from a bad movie. "What is going on?" I asked. He looked up and explained, "All these coconuts were in the refrigerator and no one was using them, so I'm going to make pasta with fresh coconut milk." I must have looked worried because Alex gave me a reassuring thumbs up gesture.

Wandering Stars, Tommy Orange
I can remember my mother speaking to me in some tongue I never heard again, some deep underwater sound inside and outside of me at once. She thought and felt at me and it was language. I can remember before the water left, before air entered my chest, when all light was pink and blue and purple-black.

If the Shoe Fits, Julie Murphy
When Addison saw me, she actually laughed and said, "You're just so quirky. Like a cute little librarian."
She meant it as a diss, but news flash, Addison: Librarians are hot.

Hang the Moon, Alexandria Bellefleur
"No one has ever compared me to a potato chip before." A summer's day had nothing on her favorite junk food.

By the Book, Jasmine Guillory
Romance novels made you get too many ideas, everyone knew that. Made you think unreasonable, impossible, unlikely, totally implausible things. She needed to stop that, right away.

The Way We Eat Now, Bee Wilson
Even in the rushing and bleeping of modern life, there are still moments when time seems to become elastic and expansive. Most of these moments, in my experience, are spent sharing food. It's a summer evening; the cherries you bought are large and lush, and you eat them lazily, until your mouth turns inky-red. There's a pot of fresh mint tea on the table, and you share out the final slice of almond cake between everyone. It is as if someone has handed you a sliver of time, an excuse to stop counting the minutes for once and actually experience them.

Zaitoun, Yasmin Khan
"I understand that you want to share our culture," Essa continued, politely but pointedly. "But you can't discuss Palestinian food without talking about the Occupation. About the water restrictions, about the inability to move freely, about the checkpoints, about the house demolitions. This isn't me being political, this is me explaining that the Occupation affects how we eat. You can't escape it."

All Fours, Miranda July
"I guess any calling, no matter what it is, is a kind of unresolvable ache," I said, giving in to knowing more than him. "It's a problem that you can’t fix, but there is some relief in knowing you will commit your whole life to trying. Every second that you have is somehow for it."

The Hurricane Wars, Thea Guanzon
Alaric's fingers twitched and then curled back into his palms. He was regarding her as if she were some wild creature, but also a cypher that he was trying to decode. The seven moons shone down upon them, and, as the silence stretched, the trickling of the water and the heady scent of orchids reached her awareness once more.

Iron Flame, Rebecca Yarros
"Is anyone going to tell us why we just walked out of Battle Brief?" Cat asks, a few steps behind me.
"Violet has a look in her eyes," Rhiannon explains, keeping up at my side.

The Immigrant Cookbook, Leyla Moushabeck
Almost all of the foods we think of as American specialties can be traced to immigrants, who brought or adapted them: pizza, bagels, pretzels, apple pie, waffles, hot dogs, tacos, hamburgers and the ice cream cone all originate with immigrants--from Europe, Latin America, Africa, Asia or the Middle East. Absorbed into the mainstream, they have been popularized around the world as American exports.

The Trials of Koli, MR Carey
Oftentimes, stories have magic spells in them that twist the world into a daisy chain when they're spoken. But every word's a spell, or can be. Words are terribly strong when it comes to changing the world.

A Walk Around the Block, Spike Carlsen
Every other Monday morning I wheel a sixty-four-gallon jumbled mess of Coke cans, wine bottles, milk jugs, shredded paper, and refried bean cans to the curb--then righteously rub my hands together knowing I've done my part to save the planet. An A+ performance. I all but wait for Mother Nature to applaud.

The Dark Prophecy, Rick Riordan
"Demeter is my mother, too," Lit said. "Her children make the best swordsmen. We understand the need to reap. It's just the flipside of sowing, isn't it, little sister?"

Unsung Heroine, Sarah Kuhn
In retrospect, the nunchucks were a mistake.

Wonton Terror, Vivien Chien
The fact that this was the second Monday I found myself excited for the day to begin was a tad concerning.

I'm Afraid You've Got Dragons, Peter S Beagle
The night was warm, with the scent of the flowers his midwife mother gathered daily for her remedies and birthing spells; the moon, rising slowly over the distant peaks that gave Bellemontagne its name, seemed to Osvald to have a smell of its own, sharp and elusive as the mountains.

The Stand-In, Lily Chu
"Let's start over. Instead of you thinking I'm a hopeless failure and me thinking you're an arrogant two-dimensional douchebag, let's be Gracie and Sam, doing a job together."
"I never said you were that," he protests. Then he pauses. "Hold on. That's how you see me?"

The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows, Olivia Waite
High crimes were probably better suited to a betrothal than a mere courting gift: you couldn't just start burning things down in hopes the other person found it romantic. You'd want to be sure.

Tress of the Emerald Sea, Brandon Sanderson
And then, Tress took the singular step that separated her from people in most stories. The act, it might be said, that defined her as a hero. She did something so incredible, I can barely express its majesty.
I should consider this more, Tress thought to herself, and not jump to conclusions.

Deadlocked, Charlaine Harris
You are the one right impulse Eric has had in five hundred years or more. Well, Pam is all right.

Of Wars, and Memories, and Starlight, Aliette de Bodard
"That's the worst of what they do, little sister--turn us against each other."
No. The thought was crystal-clear in Anshi's mind, like a blade held against starlight. That's not the worst. The worst is that, to fight them, we have to best them at their own game.

Kiss the Girl, Zoraida Cordova
His bandmates often told him that they'd all gotten over his looks after a week of living with him, which he was starting to realize was more insult than reassurance of the strength of their bond.

The Bombay Prince, Sujata Massey
Would Freny have thought this dishonest? Probably. But Freny had also refrained from discussing her beliefs with her father.
Perhaps all daughters did.

Dead Ever After, Charlaine Harris
Oh, sure, I reflected, they're glad to see me when I have a good plan for killing someone, but when I want a relationship update, I'm not hearing from a single soul.

Salvation of a Saint, Keigo Higashino
"She doesn't look like the calculating type."
"It's not a calculation. It's a smart woman's instinct for self defense."

Marvel: What If...Loki Was Worthy?, Madeleine Roux
"Where was I supposed to hold all this so-called love?" Loki snarled. He dropped onto his hands and knees like an animal. "How was I to receive it when my hands were already occupied with carrying so much shame?"

Sunbringer, Hannah Kaner
I like it here, said Skedi quietly. So many secrets, so many interpretations. So many little lies. Inara looked around and breathed in the scent of paper, bark, wood and parchment. Like a thousand autumns packed into the curving room.
So many truths too, she said.
Some truths are too bright to look at directly, that is why they couch them in paper.

My Portugal: Recipes and Stories, George Mendes & Genevieve Ko
When my mom realized I was missing, she freaked out...until she found me, fingers slick with olive oil, sardine heads and tails scattered around me as if some cat had gone to town.

Welcome to the Hyunam-dong Bookshop, Hwang Bo-Reum
Books are not meant to remain in your mind, but in your heart. Maybe they exist in your mind too, but as something more than memories.

Love, Lies, and Cherry Pie, Jackie Lau
"We're going out on Saturday," I say, "and getting drunk. I'll text Ashley."
"Did you just get off the phone with your mother?" she asks.

It Happened One Summer, Tessa Bailey
Her heart was in smithereens.
She didn't want to enter a club on a hydraulic unicorn.

The Tainted Cup, Robert Jackson Bennett
"Well...previously all our cases were about pay fraud."
"So?"
"So...should I expect anything different here?"
A flippant shrug. "Generally I find the main difference with murder cases is how loud they are. All the screaming, you see."

Tacopedia, Deborah Holtz & Juan Carlos Mena


Any Duchess Will Do, Tessa Dare
"Mr. Fosbury," she called in the direction of the kitchen, untying her apron strings. "I'll be leaving now. I don't expect I'll be coming back today. I'm taking this duke 'round to the cottage so he can ask for my hand in marriage."

The Burning Maze, Rick Riordan
That was the last moment before everything went wrong, before our great tragedy unspooled--when Jason Grace thrust out his arms, and the cages of wind exploded.

The Last Bloodcarver, Vanessa Le
"Legacy is not about us. It's about the things we leave behind. I passed heartsoothing on to you. One day, you will pass it on to another. It doesn’t matter if it's not the same kind that I practiced, or that my mother practiced. Heartsoothing is ever changing. To remember it at all...That would be enough."

The Hellion's Waltz, Olivia Waite
"You gladden the eye. It's something better than beauty. There is something in the way you move, in your expression, that draws people in." She pressed one steady hand to her chest. "I feel it here, every time, like a hook. You pull at me."

No comments: